Bloomberg Fellows and Staff Featured in Police Chief Magazine
January 10, 2022
The International Association of Chiefs of Police recently devoted an issue of its magazine to the intersection of public health and policing.
The December issue of Police Chief Magazine, which features articles from several Bloomberg Fellows and faculty, looks at ways police departments are promoting harm reduction, creating alternatives to arrest, and developing other innovations aimed at improving health outcomes. Bloomberg Fellow Kelly Burke was a guest editor.
Articles written by Bloomberg Fellows and faculty include:
- Initiative Director Josh Sharfstein penned commentary about his time as Baltimore Health Commissioner, developing community health solutions to violence and addiction.
- Daniel W. Webster and Cassandra K. Crifasi, Director and Deputy Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Prevention and Policy, joined Fellow Martin Bartness, Deputy Chief with the Baltimore Police Department, to write about reducing gun violence and building community trust.
- Fellow Christopher Carita, a detective with the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, and Shannon Frattaroli, American Health assistant professor, wrote about extreme risk protection orders.
- Fellow Don Hedrick, Rapid City Chief of Police, wrote about intervention programs for at-risk-youth.
- Fellow Jason Piotrowski, Captain in the Office of Drug Monitoring & Analysis for the New Jersey State Police, wrote about a public health approach to preventing drug misuse and mitigating community drug harm.
The magazine also included a call to action from the president of the IACP for police leaders to learn from public health and develop solutions that are "collaborative, cross-disciplinary, research driven, solutions oriented, culturally appropriate, and rooted in the community."
Stay Connected to the Initiative
Receive all the latest news from the Initiative by following us on Twitter, signing up for the American Health Dispatch newsletter, subscribing to the American Health Podcast, and subscribing to our YouTube channel.Contact Us